Lighter than a feather.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-12 00:52:00

beaver
Administrator

Post editor and questions

Hi there !

First of all, congratulations for your project, it seems really promising Smile

I read that you wanted a lightweight post editor, pure JS without jQuery. I'd be glad to help you doing this  (according to my free time, which is not often these times). Here is a small JS library we could improve and use : few code, simple, easily  extendible.

Edit : I noticed that several .php and .tpl files were present in the /style/FeatherBB, is it intended or have you already planned to remove them ? I see them included nowhere else in the code.
Also, what would you think of including a CSS/JS compacter and minifier when developing, so that in "production mode" all assets are merged into one small file as FeatherBB aims to optimize performances ?

Sorry for my english, on vient du même pays Tongue

Last edited by beaver (2015-07-12 01:30:35)

#2 2015-07-12 03:39:29

daymond

Re: Post editor and questions

Hey dude, the post editor that you suggested might be too outdated or doesn't fit with Featherbb even though it's lightweight. I can't really make any decision on whether to use it, that was just my personal opinion. Still thanks for the suggestion Smile

#3 2015-07-12 09:46:46

beaver
Administrator

Oh I didn't mean to use this library as-is, indeed a 2008 code clearly needs be upgraded and extended for FeatherBB use Wink
But what makes you say it doesn't fit with FeatherBB ? Was this juste because of its age ?

#4 2015-07-12 10:35:42

Oukiva

Hi. My opinion is that the default forum editor should be a minimalist one.
The one from the actual FluxBB, a textarea and a few link for most common BBcode option is  enough.
There are endless options & features that can be added to an editor, but very few forums will need or use them all.
A minimalist editor, plus a code that allow to easily make mods to upgrade it or replace the editor and it would be ok.
Don't lost your time on an new editor when there will be many coming as mods... if featherBB succeed Wink

#5 2015-07-12 11:15:15

beaver
Administrator

That's why I think this library is a better base for a default minimalist toolbar, compared to other libraries linked in another message which are much more heavy (even if once again, I plan to upgrade and complete it a bit).
Anyway I'll wait for adaur's reply, thank you for your answers Smile

#6 2015-07-12 13:57:24

adaur
Lead developer
Website

Hi,

I really like your editor! I'll take a closer look asap. The tpl files should be deleted, and yes, your compacter and minifier is a great idea Smile

@Oukiva: which editor do you have in mind? FluxBB doesn't have a built-in editor.

#7 2015-07-12 21:33:48

adaur
Lead developer
Website

I have reviewed a lot of scripts and two caught my attention:

http://corpocrat.com/2008/08/15/free-wysiwyg-bbcode-editor-in-javascript/ (beaver's one)
http://ramui.com/documentation/bbcode-generator-php-html-decoder-script.html

Both are very simple and ultra light. Let me know what you think!

#8 2015-07-12 22:18:19

sklerder

Hi all !

The second one seems to be more "rich" (colors, "quote", ...) than the first one.
But both seem interesting.

With FluxBB, I use the "FluxBB toolbar", so an equivalent to it would be the best choice for me ...

But it's up to you to decide, as you'll integrate it (I don't know which would be the easier to integrate) Smile

#9 2015-07-13 00:53:52

beaver
Administrator

Hi,

Indeed the second one seems richer ! If you're not in a hurry, let me a few days to upgrade a bit/integrate it and I'll make a pull request to your repo before the end of the week. Idem for the assets minifier.
BTW, a Less/SASS and CoffeeScript support could be another nice feature. I'll see that later if I find the time and motivation Smile

#10 2015-07-13 10:08:22

Oukiva

sklerder wrote:

The second one seems to be more "rich" (colors, "quote", ...) than the first one.

IMHO the second one is already too rich.
Many forum (the serious ones ? Wink ) do not want options like Color, Size, Font and even Images and graphic Smileys ...

The first one would be enough I think:  B I U S url list quote code

Look at others forum softwares. Most of popular one have a very basic editor (or even just the raw textarea form)
but have a collection of editor plugins targeting different types of forum & public.

For the core editor : the simpler, the better.
Don't forget: Lighter than a feather ! Wink

#11 2015-07-13 18:52:33

adaur
Lead developer
Website

@sklerder: I like the FluxToolbar as well, we could use it here since it's light too.

@beaver: sure! Feel free to play with the code. I have a LESS version of the theme, would you be interested?

@Oukiva: I agree that we should keep the core light. However, color and smilies are part of FluxBB's original parser, I'd like to keep these features. Fonts can go, but I'm not against a single tag to make the text bigger or smaller.

#12 2015-07-13 22:39:11

sklerder

Hi adaur, all.

I'm not absolutely for FluxToolbar, but it's simple (rather light, dont know how much vs the two you propsed).
Every toolbar providing the same "tools" that FluxToolBar (and lighter than FluxToolbar) would be welcome Smile

#13 2015-07-14 10:55:29

beaver
Administrator

Hi,

A base BBcode editor has been integrated in Quick and normal posts views, but I'm not sure you can see it on the repo as I messed up a bit with my git client Big Smile It's the first time I fork a public repo actually, I'll see that more in details soon Smile
For the moment only default tags proposed are working, more will come later : small and large, colors...
There's also a useless pull request you can delete.

#14 2015-07-14 12:25:25

adaur
Lead developer
Website

Good, I'm waiting for it Smile You can use GitHub's Windows client, it's very easy and convenient to use.

#15 2015-07-14 14:31:13

beaver
Administrator

Ok that should be ok now, I didn't get I had to publish my own fork of the repo before making a pull request x)
Tell me if all went right !

#16 2015-07-15 21:49:10

adaur
Lead developer
Website

Here it is! Thanks to @beaver Smile

You may have noticed the "Documentation" link :).

Last edited by adaur (2015-07-15 21:55:48)

#17 2015-07-17 16:29:50

beaver
Administrator

Thanks for the integration !

The Doc link on top of this page ? Yes but that's not this doc I was looking for ^^ I found it in one of fluxbb github repos. Still can't add the [small] and [large] tags, even after reloading bbcd.php cache file (I can see them in admin Parser menu page), so if you see how to get it working... Smile

I'm presently implementing a color picker for the post editor, which is almost finished, but I replaced all the .gif images with FontAwesome icons. Do you agree or should we keep images instead of fonts ? If no I will set back images, but IMHO it's cleaner if we use FontAwesome. Plus we have more choice of icons, all looking the same, and maybe some could be nicely integrated in some design places !

#18 2015-07-17 20:00:42

adaur
Lead developer
Website

You can add a tag in bbcd.php and bbcd_source.php. I think only one of those two files is used, i'll check which one. You can see what I did for the center tag:

'center' => array(
        'html_name'                => 'div',
        'handlers'                => array(
            'NO_ATTRIB'            => array(
                'format'        => '</p><div align="center"><p>%c_str%</p></div><p>'
            )
        )
    ),

After the edition of the file, you can either delete your cache or reload it from the admin panel.

Same as jQuery, I don't want to ship a CSS that will make 400+ images available if we use 10 of them. Sorry about that.

#19 2015-07-18 00:55:58

beaver
Administrator

Weird, that's what I did the first time, tried again, but tags are still not rendered...
I've proposed a new pull request with color picker and some other tags support for BBcode toolbar and bbcd updates, see if you can see my mistake ! Otherwise it will be for later.
No prob for font awesome icons, they are all available in png.
If you like the color picker system I'll try to make a smilies picker the same way Smile

#20 2015-07-19 14:39:06

sklerder

Hi here.

This toolbar seems OK to me (light and functionnal).
With a clolor-picker, it would be enough, IMHO.

#21 2015-07-19 19:22:18

adaur
Lead developer
Website

A color-picker is available thanks to beaver's pull request. It'll get merged in a couple of days (just a weird bug to fix)

#22 2015-07-20 22:02:41

sklerder

Hi !

Many thanks to beaver, and you adaur ...

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.061119 seconds, 6 queries executed - Memory usage: 1.5 MiB (Peak: 1.53 MiB) ]